Man Denies Burglarizing, Setting Fire to Casper Home
One of two homeless men arrested in early June after allegedly burglarizing and setting fire to a house in Casper denied the two felony charges brought against him during his arraignment Tuesday morning in Natrona County District Court.
Stacy Raymund Clark, 46, is accused of burglary, as well as a charge of first-degree arson and accessory before the fact. He could face up to 30 years in prison and $30,000 in fines if convicted on both counts.
According to charging documents, the Casper Fire Department put out a fire at a home on North Jefferson. The flames originated in the basement of the home, and investigators later determined the fire was set intentionally with the aid of "petroleum-based accelerants."
The property owner gave investigators a list of things which were missing from the home. Police officers later collected and reviewed security footage.
That video allegedly shows Clark and 19-year-old Isaiah Lorenzo Montiano Like enter the home through a window, and later exit carrying a flat-screen television, a set of golf clubs, a UAV and other items.
Five minutes after the pair exit the home, the video reportedly shows smoke "pouring out" of the house.
A police officer found the men at an address on East Collins at about 3:20 a.m. They were interviewed separately at the Casper Police Department.
Like allegedly admitted to going into the home through a window, but denied setting any fires. He reportedly said he couldn't remember portions of that night.
Clark, after being shown surveillance video, allegedly claimed that the house belonged to his friend, though he couldn't name his friend. Clark reportedly said his friend let him sleep at the house, and said there was nothing strange about going in through the window.
Clark is being held on $200,000 cash or surety bond, despite public defender Curtis Cheney on Tuesday asking Natrona County District Court Judge Thomas Sullins to reduce the bond amount.
Natrona County District Attorney Mike Blonigen objected to any reduction in bond, highlighting Clark's previous convictions on charges of aggravated assault and felon in possession of a firearm.
Blonigen also said Clark has failed to appear or failed to comply some 20-30 times previously. Sullins declined to reduce Clark's bond.
A trial for both Clark and Like is set for Oct. 30.