Things I Wish I Did Differently In High School
Now that school is back in session, I’ve been thinking a lot about my school career. Truth be told, I don’t remember much of it. This is mostly due to the fact that it was significantly unmemorable. I didn’t hate high school, but I didn’t live and/or die by it either. High school was just…there…for me. Likewise, when I was in high school, I too was just there. I didn’t really stand out. I didn’t catch a game-winning pass. I didn’t date the prettiest girl in school (though the one I did date was easily in the top 5). I, just like many other students, just…existed. I always felt above high school. Not above the people, per say, but just the idea of high school. I knew that the stuff I did after high school would be the really important stuff. That being said, there are some things I wish I did differently in high school. Here is a list of those things.
- I wish I met more people.
- I wish I took more chances to talk to girls I liked, without fear of rejection.
- I wish I was nicer to people who were “lower on the high school totem pole” than I was.
- I wish I would have studied more. Learning was free in high school.
- I wish I would have gone to more school activities- football games, pep rallies, etc.
- I wish I loved then the things that I love now.
- I wish I would have gone to more parties.
- I wish I would have taken more foreign language classes.
- I wish I would have realized the simplicity of high school more.
- I wish I wouldn’t have rushed through high school, in order to get through it.
- I wish I would have hit on more teachers as soon as I turned 18.
- I wish I had normal hair when my senior pictures were taken.
- I wish I would have impacted more people.
- I wish I spent even more time with my best friends.
- I wish I would have written more, read more, photo’d more.
- I wish I would have sang louder, danced better, acted more.
- I wish my prom was more memorable.
- I wish my prom date was hotter.
- I wish I would have kissed more girls.
- I wish I would have made a teacher be more of a mentor to me.
- I wish I would have had a beard.
- Or a mustache.
- Okay, not a mustache.
- Nope, changed my mind. Want the mustache.
- I wish I had better taste in music.
- I wish I wasn’t embarrassed to be a fan of professional wrestling
Well, there you have it. Those are the things I wish I would have done differently when I was in high school. It’s too late for me, but it’s not too late for those of you who are in the midst of your high school careers. Do what you want to do. Don’t be afraid of rejection. Make bad decisions. Make good decisions. Make memories that will last you a lifetime.