No Injuries Reported in Casper Apartment Following Cooking Fire
Casper Fire-EMS says no injuries were reported as a result of a Wednesday afternoon apartment fire.
Shortly after 1 p.m., firefighters were called to a structure fire in the 2300 block of East Seventh Street. Callers indicated smoke was coming from one unit in an apartment building.
Crews arrived, found smoke coming from a unit on the second floor, and forced their way inside. Moderate smoke was inside the apartment, and burning food was found on a stovetop in the kitchen.
Firefighters extinguished the burning food and ventilated the apartment to remove the smoke.
No one was found inside the apartment. Some light smoke damage did occur, but occupants will be able to return to the unit, according to a press release from Casper Fire-EMS.
Six fire units were initially dispatched, but most of those returned to service shortly after the fire was extinguished. Casper police officers and Wyoming Medical Center assisted.
Crews remained on scene for about an hour.
With Thanksgiving just a day away, Casper Fire-EMS urges residents to use caution when cooking, and never leave cooking unattended.
If you must leave while cooking, turn stoves and cooking appliances off. Keep flammables well away from cooktops and other sources of heat.
Should a fire break out while cooking, use a fire extinguisher or carefully cover the pan with a lid. Do not use water on flammable liquids such as grease, and do not try to move a burning pan to the sink.
Fire can grow rapidly, so only try to put it out if the blaze is very small.
When in doubt, evacuate and call 911 immediately from a safe location.