Casper Man Gets 15-45 Years for Sexual Abuse of Children
A Casper man is headed to prison for the sexual abuse of three young girls, having been convicted by a jury earlier this year.
District Judge Thomas Sullins sentenced 60-year-old Douglas Clayton Jones on Thursday to a term of five to 15 years in prison on each of three counts of second-degree sexual abuse of a minor, with the three prison terms running consecutively.
For the purpose of sentencing, each third-degree sexual abuse charge was merged with its corresponding second-degree charge. There were three victims in the case, and Jones was convicted of one second-degree charge as well as one third-degree charge regarding each victim.
During the hearing, Sullins questioned the prosecution regarding the potential for double jeopardy, and how a sentence could be structured to avoid such a circumstance. The prohibition against double jeopardy means that a person cannot be prosecuted or punished twice for the same offense.
Assistant District Attorney Kevin Taheri told K2 Radio News after the hearing that the charges were merged because, with each victim, the second-degree charge and third-degree charge stemmed from a single act.
Sullins did not order Jones to pay any restitution in connection with the case, despite a request by Taheri during Thursday's sentencing hearing. Sullins said the state had failed to prove that Jones owed the requested amount.
This story will be updated.