It’s Cold. Be Smart.
That time of year, our first sub-zero temperatures. Even though most of us are used to Wyoming winters, you'd be surprised how many people get stuck out somewhere here, without the stuff they need. Unfortunately, sometimes it ends badly. Stuff you need in your car!
Make your own kit like this one or you can buy one at many local retail stores.
Jumper cables to restart engine
* Cat litter or sand for tire traction
* Shovel to scrape snow away from tires
* Ice scraper to clear windshield
* Warm clothes gloves, a hat, sturdy boots, warm jacket and even a change of clothes
* Blankets to keep warm inside the vehicle
* Flashlights and extra batteries for increased visibility
* First aid kit also pack necessary medications in case you are stuck on the road
* Food pack items containing protein such as nuts and energy bars, also canned fruit and a portable can opener are good additions
* Water bring enough for each person in your car and any pets
* AM/FM radio to listen to traffic reports and emergency messages
Also consider...Bring a fully charged cell phone if you have one with a list of emergency numbers (don't forget your phone charger)
* Flares or reflective triangle
* Make sure your gas tank is full
* Baby formula and diapers if you have a small child
* If you find yourself stranded, be safe and stay in your car, put on your flashers, call for help and wait until it arrives.
Also good to know what you're in for before you take a drive - don't forget about 888-WYO-ROAD, great number to call for conditions, or the WYDOT site.